Safeguarding Freedom - Balancing Rights
We don’t want to leave our democracy vulnerable to disinformation. This is common sense throughout Europe. The revision of the Code of Practice on Disinformation and the proposed DSA are key pillars in the fight against disinformation on large platforms. At the same time we need to start promoting society’s resilience towards disinformation campaigns and invest in media literacy.
In order to protect our democracy it remains essential to balance freedom of expression with effective regulation. At our event “Safeguarding Freedom – Balancing Rights” we focused on regulatory and media literacy solutions.
Host: Isabelle Körner
- Hans H. Stein, Director, Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the European Union
Opening Key Note
- Vice-President Věra Jourová, European Commission
Setting the Scene
- Ben Scott, Executive Director, Reset.tech
A – Regulatory Solutions
An expert opinion: Presentation of the legal study “Disinformation. Risks, Regulatory Gaps and Adequate Countermeasures.”
- Wolfgang Schulz, Director, Leibniz Institute for Media Research | Hans-Bredow-Institut (HBI)
A practical approach: French law on the fight against the manipulation of information
- Frédéric Bokobza, Deputy Director General, Conseil supérieur de l’audiovisuel (France)
15 Minutes Break
B – Media Literacy Solutions
“How to” media literacy project. Key findings of ERGA’s Action Group for Media Literacy.
- Stephanie Comey, Senior Manager, Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
The age of brochures is over. Media literacy meets the digital age.
- Antje von Berg, Team Leader Media Literacy, Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia
C – Discussion
What have we achieved? Where should we be going next?
- Marisa Jimenez Martin, Director and Deputy Head of EU Affairs, Meta
- Renate Nikolay, Head of Cabinet of Vice-President Jourová, European Commission
- Tobias Schmid, Chair of ERGA and Commissioner for European Affairs of the German Media Authorities
- Heike Raab, State Secretary of Rhineland-Palatinate